This is a follow up on my original regimen. It’s now been almost a full year since the previous version was written and I’ve made significant changes to my regimen since that time. This regimen has been extremely effective for me and has allowed me to remain seborrheic dermatitis free (will update if anything changes).
Table of Contents
- 1 Why Changes?
- 2 What I’ve Been Doing
- 3 A Little About The Formulation
- 4 How I Use the Biom8
- 5 Additional Information Available on the Biom8 Website
- 6 Additional Dietary Points of Interest
- 7 How I Control Dandruff
- 8 Links to Useful Comments
These changes were made due to two facts:
- Many users have reported that they had suffered with seborrheic dermatitis for major parts of their life (20-30 years). And this scared me!
- The Restoraderm had worked very well since my last post and I didn’t experience any real issues with seborrheic dermatitis (except for a few random flakes here and there). However, as the summer came around I noticed that my skin was rather sensitive to the sun (redness). And as I got more sun I noticed that the seborrheic dermatitis was still active, it was just dormant and being extremely well concealed by the Restoraderm.
What I’ve Been Doing
So during that past year I’ve been doing an immense amount of research on seborrheic dermatitis. However, I stopped searching through blogs, forums and other unproven sources. Instead I started reading strictly medical literature and trying to build a cohesive understanding of what is actually happening to seborrheic dermatitis affected skin.
An eBook That Turned Into Something Else
All this research was going into an eBook I had been working on (trying to organize and summarize my findings). However, as the Restoraderm stopped producing results, I decided to try to formulate my own natural topical solution. After countless failed attempts I finally stumbled on a unique formula that my skin seemed to really love.
After only days of usage my skin was not only seborrheic dermatitis free, but it seemed to actually be improving across the board. It was no longer dry, sun exposure was much more pleasant and skin tone started to drastically improve. Finally, I felt like I found what I was searching for all of these years.
Getting It Tested
Jolly from my own results, I decided to offer the formulation to other community members of this site to see if they would experience similar results. At this point I wasn’t 100% sure if it was really the formulation at work or some other random factor.
When the feedback started coming back I was blown away. People who had suffered for much longer then me (and that have spent much more money on trying to find a solution) were reporting amazing results. Obviously not every single tester reported these results, but the large majority did (~90%).
Based on this initial feedback I decided to try to actually make the formulation into a product that can be offered to everyone around the world. And so it was born:
A Little About The Formulation
The idea behind Biom8 was to formulate something that was all natural and I would be comfortable using long term.
The formula uses a unique combination of anti-microbial and anti-fungal fatty acids, sea buck-thorn seed oil and vitamin E. This should supply the skin with nutrients and antioxidants needed for repair, in addition to improving the skins defense against the malassezia fungus (documented to be responsible for seborrheic dermatitis).
The result is not only a gradual improvement of skin barrier function, but also rapid relief of the most annoying symptoms (flaking and inflammation) of SD. But for me personally, the most comforting part of the formulation was that I manged to keep it all natural (this was very important in making me comfortable with long term usage).
How I Use the Biom8
The ointment is basically pure oil, so it only requires a tiny amount to cover a fairly large amount of skin. Using too much can leave the skin over-saturated and shinny. This the basic regimen I have been following daily since August 2015:
- Rinse face with slightly cold water only (wash hands prior to doing this)
- Using no towel or anything else, allow the skin to begin to air dry
- Once the majority of water has dried, but the skin still fairly moist (2-4 minutes) I apply the biom8
- To apply the Biom8, I squeeze a small amount into the palm and spread it out to create a thin layer, then using the fingers of the other hand I dab a bit of the oil and massage it into the skin
Some Additional Notes to My Method
These are just some general notes to my method.
- when applying Biom8 I use the smallest amount possible to cover the skin (about 1-2 sprays from the spray pump)
- if the skin is still too wet, the oils will not absorb well into the skin
- if the skin is not wet enough, too much Biom8 would be required
- the precision tip bottle can get fairly oily due to dispenser head, a paper towel can be used to wipe it clean after usage
- if I plan on getting some sun, I apply a liberal amount of the Biom8, as it has worked exceptionally well as a tanning oil and in preventing the skin from drying up
Other Ideas for Integrating Biom8
The ointment was designed to be a universally applicable for easy integration into existing routines, regimens and other products. Some ideas for it’s usage:
- addition to your existing shampoo
- addition to your existing cleanser
- addition to another moisturizer
- addition to makeup (for women)
- addition to a hair styling product
Additional Information Available on the Biom8 Website
The following are links where you can find more information. However, please bare with me as the website isn’t fully completed. Any feedback on areas where I can improve would be appreciated.
- Conditioning Oil – Product Page (tons of usage tips in the reviews section)
- Conditioning Oil – Usage Instructions
- Question and answer forum
Additional Dietary Points of Interest
Since I currently believe that seborrheic dermatitis is simply an issue of poor sebum composition (allowing for increase bacterial/fungal activity), controlling sebum production can be of benefit. These are some methods which I try to integrate into daily life now:
- eat lots of carrots and supplement with cod liver oil (Vitamin A regulates sebum production)
- eat lots of apples (improves blood sugar control, which regulates sebum production)
- try to keep meals balanced and not overeat (this again is aimed at blood sugar control and prevention of insulin spikes)
- eat lots of cruciferous vegetables (cabbage has been show to heal ulcers, plus this group of vegetables has been shown to improve antimicrobial peptide production and prevent cancer)
How I Control Dandruff
Dandruff hasn’t actually been a problem for me at all lately and I attribute this to the shampoo I’ve been using “Andalou Natural Moisture Rich Shampoo“. If dandruff decided to come back the first thing I would try is adding a few drops of Biom8 onto my scalp (either while shampooing or while applying hair gel).
Biom8 On the Scalp
The areas I’ve been using the Biom8 is on my face, ears, and hairline. However, users have reported great results from using the Biom8 on their scalp. The most common approach seems to be messaging directly into the scalp after the shower or several hours prior to showering.
Based on the feedback, I’ve started working on a formula specifically for the scalp and in a container that makes it easier to get down to the roots. This will hopefully be available towards the end of 2015.
Users have been posting various tips and suggestions in the comment thread below. For quick access I will try to organize the most useful here: